Many things are on our minds these days including family, surviving and thriving. Pets are important family members. And this month, we celebrate pet first aid and therapy animals.
National Pet First Aid Awareness Month: The American Red Cross supports this month to remind us know about specialized pet first aid. Pet parents are reminded that our pets are totally dependent on us.
We are responsible for their safety during an emergency situation. The Red Cross includes a disaster plan to keep your pet safe.
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) promotes awareness about the important issues facing animals. ASPCA awareness events include:
- April 8: National Dog Fighting Awareness Day
- April 26: Help a Horse Home Challenge
- Create a fundraising page
- Make Adoption Your First Option
National Adopt a Greyhound Month: Greyhounds are sprinters who reach up to 45 miles per hour. They are low-maintenance dogs with a gentle spirit and live easily in a large home or an apartment. Some of their favorite past times: spending snuggle time on the couch with you!.
- April 5-11: Animal Care and Control Appreciation Week. This is a week to appreciate the work of animal care providers. Animal service professionals and rescue workers face challenges from emotional exhaustion trying to help abused or neglected animals, as well as “Compassion Fatigue.”
- April 12-18: Animal Cruelty/Human Violence Awareness Week. The Human Society of the United States (HSUS) brings awareness “to recognize the connection between cruelty to animals and violence toward people.” Purposeful harm to animals is a crime in every state.
- April 12-18: National Pet ID Week. If your pet is lost, you need a quick and easy way to identify them. A microchip or ID tag are the best ways to make sure your pet finds their way home to you.
- April 10: National Hug Your Dog Day. Enjoy a day of affection and snuggles with your favorite dog! Some cats and dogs may not like hugs. But a noggin pet and ear scratch are always appreciated! And here’s my blog on The Best Ways to Pick Up and Hold Your Dog.
- April 11: Dog Therapy Appreciation Day. Therapy animals are exceptional companions for humans. This is a day to honor therapy animals and their handlers. Awareness includes public education about therapy animals and our well-being.
- April 26: National Kids and Pets Day and National Pet Parents Day. This day is a celebration of the bonds between children, animals and pet parents who spoiled their furry family members. Family days also bring awareness to pets who are still waiting to find their forever homes.
- April 30: Adopt a Shelter Pet Day. This day brings awareness about the millions of animals waiting for their forever homes in shelters across the country.
Thanks for stopping by!
Dr. Pet Mom
“I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being.”