Pet Sitters International (PSI) started Take Your Dog to Work Day in 1999. Now in 2019, Take Your Dog to Work Day (TYDTWD) is celebrating 21 years. The goal is to raise funds and awareness to support animal rescue and shelter dog adoptions.
TYDTWD celebrates the “joys of pets in the workplace for one day to support their local pet communities.”
And PSI wants to help homeless animals find loving families and forever homes.
Events like TYDTWD help non-pet owners experience the special bond their co-workers share with their pets.
PSI estimated about 300 businesses participate in the annual TYDTWD celebration. And each year, TYDTWD is gaining in popularity.
Taking pets to work is good for business. Research confirmed what animals lovers already know: Bringing dogs to work relieves stress, helps people relax, and puts a smile on their face.
Here are a few more reasons to bring your dog to work:
- Pets encourage socializing at work and break the tension at meetings. Animals make people feel better.
- Your dog can show her best traits. Some people are afraid of dogs. But after meeting a wonderful dog, people can change how they feel about dogs.
- Dogs make the workplace fun. People can get excited and happy about bringing their animals to work. And the work day will go faster.
- Pets at work save employees money when you think about the cost of doggie day care.
- It’s a financial benefit for employees working long hours. And dogs at work is great for the company’s image.
- Dogs at work will force you to get away from your desk and get outside. Your pet will need bathroom breaks and a long walk around the block.
Maybe you’re lucky enough to work for a company that allows pets. Make sure your work place is safe for them.
Bring your dog’s favorite toys, water bowl, comfy bed, and food. Also be sure your pet is current on her vaccinations and is microchipped.
Let your doggy stay at your desk and let her greet your co-workers. Keep her safely tethered in your work space. Keep plenty of treats and fresh water on hand.
Celebrate Take Your Dog to Work Day! Your dog will thank you for it.
Dr. Pet Mom
“Animals are like people because people are animals.”
–Barbara T. Gates