Cats make wonderful pets for any family of any size. Boomer families, Millennial families, retired couples, families with young children or teens and single adults are adopting cats.
If you’re thinking about adopting a pet, here are a few tips to guide you in the right direction.
Note: All photos (by @SocialClaude) are our feral rescue cat Oscar... 😎
Cat Adoption Tips: Your Lifestyle
- Busy lifestyles favor a relaxed, older, friendly and house-trained cat.
- Older cats live well in families with young children, under 7 years old.
- Look at a cat’s personality more than their coat color or pattern.
Cat Adoption Tips: Shelter Cats
- Animal shelters de-worm, test for Feline Leukemia Virus (FELV) and vaccinate cats before they can be adopted.
- Common house cats make up almost 90% of the world’s cat population.
- Purebred cats make up the other 10% of the world’s cat population.
Cat Adoption Tips: Multiple Cat Families
- Get a discounted adoption fee for adopting a bonded pair of cats.
- Cats can be close friends in a shelter and grieve if the pair is adopted separately.
- If you can, please bring home a bonded pair of kitties.
Thanks for stopping by!
Dr. Pet Mom
“I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through.”